Address: 4141 N South Herrera Way
Phoenix, AZ 85012
Salary: $17.00 - $18.50
This position plans, develops and implements therapeutic recreation programs consistent with established federal, state and VA regulations and facility policies and procedures. Maintains clinical and administrative records. Attends and participates in care plan meetings. Maintains therapy space, supplies and equipment. Transports Veterans/Members to and from community outings. Follows department policies and procedures applicable to assigned job responsibilities. Complies with all local, state, and federal laws and regulations. Completes projects as assigned. Learns, implements and monitors Arizona Management System (AMS) methods.
* Plans and develops therapeutic recreation programs. Develops a monthly recreation calendar and submits it to the Manager for approval. Maintains Activities/Recreational Therapy bulletin board. Purchases items needed for planned programming according to state procurement rules.
* Assists Veterans/Members in organization and continued development of council meetings in compliance with federal and state guidelines. Ensures resolution of Veteran/Member issues addressed during council meetings per complaint/compliment policies and procedures.
* Conducts recreational therapy sessions with individuals and groups in accordance with
established treatment plans and specific methodologies and techniques.. Programs may include special community events and involvement with community and veteran service organizations.
* Maintains appropriate clinical and administrative records regarding diagnosis, treatment and
summary of Veteran/Member progress. Responsible for completion of all therapeutic recreation assessments, care plans, MOS, CAS modules, participation records/daily attendance and progress notes.
* Attends care plan meetings; participates in discussions and problem-solving process. Confers with other staff members, special consultants and members of the treatment team. Attends department and facility meetings. May mentor student interns.
* Participates in special projects as assigned by the Activities/Recreation Therapy Manager. Participates in staff meetings and attends in-service training. Learns, implements and monitors Arizona Management System 10 (AMS) methods. Utilizes AMS concepts and tools for problem solving and work process improvements. Actively participates in AMS processes such as Huddle Boards, Problem Solving, Job Breakdown Sheets, Success Tracking and Standardized Work Fully participates in the QAPI program, Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement, which incorporates AMS concepts.
* Maintains therapy space, supplies and equipment in clean, orderly and operational condition. Transports Veterans/Members to and from community outings using State Vehicles. Acts as guide and trip leader to ensure proper Veteran/Member participation and safety.
• Knowledge of rules, regulations, policies and procedures that govern the agency, section and work unit
• Knowledge of therapeutic value of recreational activities
• Knowledge of principles, practices and techniques of recreational therapy
• Knowledge of the methods used to accomplish therapeutic goals through recreational programs
• Knowledge of community resources for recreational activities
• Skill in applying recreational therapy techniques
• Skill in demonstrating therapeutic recreation/activities
• Verbal and written communication skills
• Interpersonal skills
• Work management skills
• Basic computer skills
• Ability to transport residents in State vehicle
* Required to drive on State business; must possess a valid Arizona driver's license.
* Must possess a valid AZ Department of Public Safety (DPS) Fingerprint Clearance card.
* Must possess a Bachelors degree or higher in Therapeutic Recreation or a related field.
* Requires certification as a Recreation Therapist by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification or the National Association of Activity Professionals, or certification as a Music Therapist by the Certification Board for Music Therapists. Certification must be valid upon hire or obtained within one year of placement into position.
The Arizona Department of Administration offers a comprehensive benefits package to include:
• Sick leave
• Vacation with 10 paid holidays per year
• Health and dental insurance
• Retirement plan
• Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
• Optional employee benefits include short-term disability insurance, deferred compensation plans, and supplemental life insurance
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Positions in this classification participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS).
Please note, enrollment eligibility will become effective after 27 weeks of employment.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 602.781.7032 for assistance.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.