Work Location: 161st Air Wing/CES, Phoenix, AZ
The Refrigeration Mechanic works under the general direction of the Physical Plant Supervisor with minimal supervision in performing Journeyman Level work in the operation, maintenance & repair of Large Modern HVAC, Refrigeration, Heating Systems and Equipment. Performs minor installation/construction as assigned to keep buildings and property functional and safe.
(Major Responsibilities/Essential Functions)
• Cooling, Heating & Refrigeration system equipment installation, inspection, and repair to existing facilities infrastructure and equipment.
• Performs preventative maintenance by inspecting, cleaning, adjusting or replacing filters, evaporative cooling pads, V-Belts, pumps, valves, electric motors, circuit boards and other electrical apparatus. Tests HVAC apparatus with various meters to detect worn out or weak/defective components.
• Reads and interprets schematics and manuals to determine standards or procedures to follow in repairing or installing heating, refrigeration/cooling equipment/systems. Performs related work as required.
• Assisting other shops craftsmen with minor repair/construction projects that may require two or more people to complete safely.
• Operating and programming the Building Energy Management System to monitor and control the comfort and air quality of individual spaces.
• Completing necessary paperwork before initiating work orders and after work order completion.
Maintaining Maintenance/Inspection Records & Refrigerant Management Program.
• Professional Skills Training & Safety Training.
• Methods and practices involved in repair, maintenance, remodeling and construction, and in installing and replacing major HVAC services.
• Blueprints, sketches and structural components of buildings and related utility systems; national and local building codes.
• Common and specialized tools, equipment and materials related to trade.
• Common safety practices.
• Estimating, costing and ordering supplies and materials.
• Policies and procedures established for the work system.
• Skill in using methods and practices of remodeling and construction.
• Reading and understanding blueprints, sketches and schematics relating to Heating/Cooling/Refrigeration, Electrical and Utilities Systems.
• Applying and understanding ASHRAE and National Electrical Code Standards and all National /Local building codes and common safety practices.
• The trade of HVAC Technician.
• Using common and specialized tools, electrical test equipment and materials.
• Oral and written communications.
• Ordering and estimating materials and costs.
• Interpersonal relationships.
• Perform Heating/Cooling/Refrigeration Maintenance, Repair and Minor Construction without immediate supervision.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing and follow verbal and written instructions.
Desired qualifications include any combination of experience, education and training that meets the knowledge, skills, and abilities described. Preferred candidate will have two-years Journeyman Level experience in the operation, repair, and maintenance of large, modern refrigeration and heating systems, supplemented by training in modern refrigeration and air conditioning systems; or equivalent full-time experience in a specialty appropriate to the assignment may be considered.
• Requires possession of and ability to retain a current, valid state issued driver's license. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver's license record checks, must maintain acceptable driving records and must complete a required driver training (See Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12).
• In and out of State travel required.
• Candidates for this position will be required to submit to a criminal background investigation as well as possess the ability to achieve a favorable Tier 1 investigation for the purpose of obtaining a Common Access Card (CAC) within one year of hire.
• Must possess EPA 608 HVACR Universal certification at time of application.
The State of Arizona offers a comprehensive benefits package to include:
• Sick leave
• Vacation with 10 paid holidays per year
• Health and dental insurance
• Retirement plan
• Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
• Optional employee benefits include short-term disability insurance, deferred compensation plans, and supplemental life insurance
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Eligible DEMA employees participate in excellent retirement programs provided by the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) and for fire personnel the Public Safety Personnel Retirement System (PSPRS).
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact email@example.com.
DEMA is a smoke-free work environment.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Opportunity and Reasonable Accommodation Employer
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.