The Arizona Department of Corrections, Rehabilitation & Reentry (ADCRR) is seeking an experienced researcher with a sense of teamwork and a record of accomplishment. This position is responsible for data extraction from the Arizona Correctional Information System (ACIS) to produce output files, regular reports, ad-hoc requests, and efficiency developments with ADCRR’s Policy and Research Unit.
- Interprets project functions to computer application programming code that meets project requirements
- Designs efficient ways of accessing and extracting data for research and specialized reports
- Prioritizes, plans, and completes work on Personal Computer (PC) based Statistical Analysis System (SAS), Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS), Structured Query Language (SQL), or equivalent
- Analyzes current and proposed database designs to ensure project objectives and requirements are met
- Plans and designs accurate and efficient database tables and flat files.
- Keeps management updated on project progression
- Responds to problems concerning projects in a timely and efficient manner
- Produces required reports using Microsoft Word and Excel
- Prepares and presents findings to management
- Creates test data and tests computer programs to ensure the validity of the data and program
- Acts as a liaison to the Informational Technology (IT) Bureau to aid in continued improvements to ACIS
- Meets with users to formulate, clarify, and finalize project objectives and requirements
- Drives on State business
- Performs other duties appropriate to the assignment
- Querying relational database systems SQL, SPSS, SAS, or Microsoft Access
- Document and report layout with Microsoft Excel, Word, and Excel
- ADCRR policies and procedures
- Local Area Networks/Wide Area Networks (LAN/WAN) technology
- PC operation of hardware, software, data analysis, and information reporting
- Attention to detail
- Organization and multitasking
- Establishing and maintaining interpersonal relationships
- Technical troubleshooting, conflict resolution, and problem-solving
- Written and verbal communication
- Work collaboratively in teams with a sense of accomplishment
- Analyze, diagnose, and develop effective solutions to operating and network systems issues
- Flexible and creative with consulting on issues and requests from end-users
- Provide clear and concise advice and direction
- Balance, prioritize, and organize multiple projects and tasks
- Synthesize feedback and adjust accordingly
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university plus four or more years of combined training/work experience with the programs listed above and demonstrated skill in the usage and development of software that is typically gained through work experience, practice, and ongoing work activity. Additional skills and techniques may also be acquired through coursework.
- Formal coursework in research methods and statistical analysis would be beneficial
- Technical workshops, seminars, or user group meetings are additional sources of knowledge regarding some of the individual or unique subjects encountered in data research and analysis and provide further application of the computing tools and techniques utilized in performing a job or work task assigned to this position
- Advanced user of Excel Spreadsheets and Microsoft Access, preferably with experience coding in SQL, SAS certification is also desirable
Requires possession of, and ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver’s license appropriate to the assignment. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver’s license record checks, must maintain acceptable driving records, and must complete any required driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12).
Employment is contingent on the selected applicant passing a background investigation.
We offer an excellent and affordable comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of our employees:
- Vacation and sick days with 10 paid holidays per year
- Robust and affordable insurance plan to include medical, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability options
- Exceptional retirement program
- Optional employee benefits such as deferred compensation plans, credit union membership, and a wellness program
- An incentivized commuter club and public transportation subsidy program
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Positions in this classification participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS).
Enrollment eligibility will become effective after 27 weeks of employment.
Current ADCRR Employees: Consult with your respective Human Resources Liaison if you are in a different retirement plan than the one indicated above.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 602-255-2430.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.