Phoenix, AZ 85012
This position carries out all geriatric nursing care, treatment and services in a professional and prescribed manner within scope of license; provides a safe, therapeutic and hygienic environment; assigns and oversees duties of subordinate staff. Provides a variety of nursing care for infirm geriatric residents; oversees and trains subordinate staff in specific resident care; observes and assesses resident behavior and physical condition; administers medical treatment and intervention according to the plan of care; acts as lead or performs limited supervision on an assignment. Pool RN is required to work one weekend shift per month, two additional shifts per month, one hour of Arizona State Veterans’ Home in-service training per month, one State Service holiday per year (excluding Martin Luther King Jr/Civil Rights Day, Presidents’ Day and Columbus Day). Shift differential paid for night shifts. Works under the supervision of an RN or Physician.
In the event the RN Pool position is the charge nurse, the incumbent oversees the functions of all other license nursing staff on the unit, as well as the Certified Nursing Assistants. The number of Geriatric LPN II, and CNA positions typically assigned to work on a unit varies according to shift.
- Administers medication and performs treatments on an assigned unit as ordered by the physician and within scope of license. Medications may be in a variety of forms including oral, enteral, parenteral, suppository, etc. Treatments may include sterile and aseptic wound cleaning and dressing, postural drainage and percussion, tracheostomy, gastrostomy and jejunostomy care and catheter care. Assesses the effectiveness of medication and treatments. Ensures an adequate amount of supplies and medication are available.
- Receives and delivers a variety of information regarding the residents’ medical, social, function and other needs. Participates in the receiving and giving of shift reports. Communicates with residents, family and staff as necessary to ensure the resident receives appropriate care from the interdisciplinary team.
- Completes the initial admission nursing assessment on a newly admitted resident. Assists with the development of the Minimum Data Set (MDS) assessments, ongoing quarterly reviews and care plans.
- Maintains appropriate clinical and administrative documentation regarding diagnosis, assessments, treatments and summary of resident progress.
- Supervises subordinate staff and assists as needed with direct resident care for the completion of Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) including bathing, dressing, eating, toileting, personal hygiene and mobility.
- Conducts and participates in in-service training and staff development programs for regularly employed staff and other duties as assigned. Attends and participates in staff meetings. May collect and analyze data for quality improvement and infection control programs. Trains/orients new employees.
- Performs other technical duties as assigned (e.g., collects specimens, responds to emergency situations rapidly and appropriately
- Gerontological/geriatric nursing theory and practice
- Resident condition and changing medical/physical /psychological care needs
- Effects of the aging process
- Practices and procedures of team nursing
- Practices and procedures for implementing treatment plans for resident/patient care
- Practices and procedures of pharmacology and medicines
- Federal, State and agency laws, rules and regulations governing general practical nursing practices and the security and control of medical supplies and medications and dispensing thereof.
- Professional nursing methods and techniques
- Observing and assessing behavior and progress of residents/patients
- Appling and interpreting State and agency laws and regulations governing geriatric nursing practices
- Developing and implementing patient care plans within a team nursing concept
- Oral and written communication
- Interpersonal skills
- Assess client needs and evaluate usefulness or suitability of resources
- Work with difficult people; establish and maintain excellent working relationships with clients, client families, team member and service providers.
One or more years of Skilled Nursing Facility or Long-Term Care Experience preferred.
- Current Negative Tb skin test (Mantoux skin test) with in the last 6 months or a written statement from a physician, physician’s assistant or a registered nurse practitioner indicating freedom from tuberculosis, if in the past has had a positive skin test or tuberculosis
- Currently possess or ability to obtain and /or retain an Arizona Department of Public Safety Class 1 Fingerprint Card
- Current or temporary license to practice as a registered nurse in the State of Arizona
- Current CPR card that was obtained by physical assessment
The Arizona Department of Administration offers a comprehensive benefits package to include:
• Sick leave
• Vacation with 10 paid holidays per year
• Health and dental insurance
• Retirement plan
• Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
• Optional employee benefits include short-term disability insurance, deferred compensation plans, and supplemental life insurance
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Positions in this classification participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) if eligibility requirement are met.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at email@example.com or 602.781.7032 for assistance.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.