This position is eligible for a $5,000 hiring incentive.
The Security Officer 1 position will provide daily rounds, including egress/ingress control of Civil Hospital, Forensic Hospital and the Arizona Community Protection & Treatment Center, as well as the rest of the campus, while providing a physically safe and secure environment.
– Responding to, and participating in, various codes, drills and other emergencies, building/mall safety inspections and customer service, as circumstances dictate
– Will be rotated through various assigned posts or as a campus interior rover
– Assisting in patient interventions in any way possible to show support to staff
– Problem-solves, and assists in resolving patient conflict as appropriate
– Encourages proper Non-Violent Crisis Intervention (NVCI) methods to unit staff as well as provides timely information and feedback to on-duty Hospital Security Supervisor, and others as/if necessary
– May be involved with vehicle and radio maintenance, safety inspections and related documentation
− Receiving, transmitting, and carrying out written or verbal directives
− Effective verbal de-escalation techniques and language
− Evacuation procedures including the use of fire extinguishers and their operation
− Proper investigation and report writing
− Monitoring and operating electronic cameras or other safety related equipment such as using radio communication equipment, telephones, and emergency numbers
− Respond to Hospital related codes and able to provide verbal and/or physical intervention in critical patient interactions
− Maintain interpersonal relationships with patients/residents, staff, and other law enforcement personnel and visitors
− Interpret and apply policies and procedures
− Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
− Perform physical duties such as lifting and carrying
− Support a diverse multi-cultural workforce that reflects the community, promotes equal opportunity at all levels of public employment, and creates an inclusive work environment that enables all individuals to perform to their fullest potential free from discrimination
The ideal candidate will have:
– Possess at least two years of progressive responsibility in a security and/or behavioral health setting, preferably in a mental health care facility or in hospital/institutional security, or law enforcement work experience
This Position Must Have:
− Requires a valid Arizona Driver’s license and the ability to drive as a rover
- A State Hospital employee must be able to obtain a valid Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card pursuant to A.R.S. § 41-1758.07.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain CPR and NVCI certifications
- Driving is required for State Business.
- Employees who drive on state business require possession of and the ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver’s license appropriate to the assignment. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver’s license checks, must maintain acceptable driving records and must complete any driver training (See Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.11).
“This position is subject to the vaccination requirements outlined in CMS Interim Final Rule - Medicare and Medicaid Programs; Omnibus COVID-19 Health Care Staff Vaccination (published November 5, 2021) (86 FR 61555).”
The State of Arizona provides an excellent comprehensive benefits package including:
− Affordable medical and dental insurance plans
− Paid vacation and sick time
− 10 paid holidays per year
− Wellness program and plans
− Life insurance
− Short/long-term disability insurance
− Defined retirement plan
− Award winning Infant at Work program
− Credit union membership
− Transit subsidy
− ADHS Student Assistance Pilot Program
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
All DHS positions participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS).
Enrollment eligibility becomes effective after 27 weeks of employment.
ASRS is a defined benefit plan which means at retirement you are guaranteed a lifetime benefit that does not run out and can never be reduced!
Arizona State Government is an EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by calling (602) 542-1085. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow sufficient time to arrange the accommodation. DHS is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All newly hired employees will be subject to E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.