This position provides leadership of the development, deployment and management of First Things First integrated external-facing content, including owned media, paid media and shared media. This position is critical to advancing First Things First's statutory responsibility to help parents and the general public recognize and understand the importance of early childhood development, education and health. In addition, this role helps to position the agency as a trusted and authoritative leader in early childhood in Arizona. While located in the FTF Phoenix Office with potential for partial remote work options, this position must be adept at ensuring the content strategy is inclusive of the diverse population and geographic characteristics of the entire state of Arizona, including rural areas, urban areas and tribal communities. The position is responsible for a variety of complex tasks that include directing projects and activities to ensure successful integrated marketing results, analysis of measures and being responsive to the communication needs of today’s parents of young children. This position reports to the Chief External Affairs Officer and serves as a key leader within the External Affairs unit. In addition, this position regularly works with other FTF units to ensure a strategic approach to consistent marketing and communications across the organization. The position provides direct supervision to three marketing and communications staff members.
● Lead the timely development and implementation of key elements of an integrated strategic communications plan to increase awareness of FTF’s purpose, priorities and programs across stakeholder audiences with the highest possible credibility and quality.
● Lead efforts to build recognition of FTF, convey leadership and foster trust with parents, the general public and early childhood stakeholders.
● Advise FTF leadership and program staff on the successful planning of program launch and marketing strategy.
● Manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders including associated vendors and build strategic content partnerships.
● Supervise staff responsible for conceptualizing and creating a wide range of graphic applications, including: collateral materials, print publications and online content for multiple FTF websites and social media platforms. Supervise the review and approval of marketing literature and campaigns, collaborating with FTF general counsel, program and leadership staff, as appropriate.
● Assist with the development and execution of all FTF content, including video, across digital platforms. Oversee the production of FTF’s paid advertising creative and implementation of campaigns, including budgeting.
● Collaborate with colleagues within the unit and across units to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
● Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
● Provide regular reports to the FTF state Board and regional partnership councils.
● Additional duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate must possess the following qualifications in order to be considered as a successful candidate:
● Eight or more years of experience developing and implementing strategic marketing, communications or public awareness initiatives.
● Demonstrated success in effectively leading and developing staff; capacity to develop and empower team members and set them up for success to achieve individual and collective goals.
● Exhibit highly-developed interpersonal relations and communications skills, able to effectively articulate and rally support for program goals.
● Proven track record in reaching goals in idea-based marketing, communications or related field.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to convey early childhood information to parents, stakeholders and the public in ways that are understandable and compelling.
● Experience working with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds and incorporating the perspectives of diverse communities.
● Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
● Bachelor’s degree or higher in marketing, communications or related field.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.