The Applications Architect (Solution Architect) will be responsible for leading the development of technical architecture of complex, multi-system configurations included in all environments. Primary expertise/responsibility to design and develop architecture for complex systems, evaluate new technologies, conduct proof of concepts using the target technology solution. Identify, analyze technical requirements of both internal and external clients.
The State of Arizona strives for a work culture that affords employees flexibility, autonomy, and trust. Across our many agencies, boards, commissions, many State employees participate in the State's Remote Work Program and are able to work remotely in their homes, in offices, and in hoteling spaces. All work, including remote work, should be performed within Arizona unless an exception is properly authorized in advance.
• Develop and maintain/improve the Applications Architecture framework. Develop and present recommendations that best fits business and IT objectives and aligns with strategic road map. Creates technical architecture artifacts to document current and future architecture patterns and related conceptual architectures to be used by the development teams.
• Leads enterprise initiatives and provides guidance to other architects in their assigned job responsibilities, as needed. Provides architectural support for application development, enhancements, and migrations. Using current standards, create and maintains documentation for system architecture
• Drive the creation and implementation of architecture standards and artifacts in a complex environment. Provides architecture design recommendations based on organizations strategy, developing technical architecture, and establishing standards and guidelines for the design of technology solutions.
• Identify and communicate risks (business, application, technical) associated with component or application implementation. Determine where all software components will be deployed relative to an application. Prepare solution architecture deliverables in accordance with enterprise standards and methodologies and consistent with the target business architecture.
• Provide input to the development of project initiation documents, including the definition of objectives, scope, approach, and deliverables. Provide strong architect expertise to ensure that the application architecture supports and aligns with business initiatives and technology strategy.
• Review, coach, and influence designs outside of the specific domain of expertise. Review designs of their ability to achieve business benefits and goals in addition to the technical aspects. Work on complex programs that have multiple applications components.
• Knowledge of the development of high volume, mission critical applications in heterogeneous environments/architectures for multi-user systems with experience.
• Knowledge of defining architectures that satisfy security, scalability, high availability and, network management/monitoring requirements with experience.
• Knowledge of Systems engineering techniques such as architecture modeling, alternatives analysis, trade-off analysis, and portfolio analysis with experience.
• Knowledge of various architecture disciplines like Application, Data, Security and Infrastructure with experience.
• Knowledge of specifying system performance requirements, network utilization targets, system resource budgets and creating flexible APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) with experience.
• Knowledge of Service Oriented Architecture concepts, web/Restful services, and event-driven architecture with experience.
• Knowledge of working with various types of partners: SI’s, ISV’s, VAR’s, OEM’s with experience and multi-platform development languages and databases with experience.
• Skill in reasoning, analytical thinking, and problem-resolution with excellence.
• Skill in Cloud development with experience.
• Skill in Artificial Intelligence (AI) software with experience.
• Skill in Robotics Process Automation (RPA) with experience.
• Skill in working in agile development environment with experience.
• Skill in developing device oriented and micro-service application with experience.
• Skill in middleware integration tools (e.g., MuleSoft) with experience.
• Ability to develop technical specifications, designs, and architecture artifacts.
• Ability to take ownership of an assignment through to completion and work effectively with people from different departments, companies, and customer organizations.
• Ability to communicate technical information in an appropriate manner for widely varied audiences (from senior management to individual contributors on software development teams).
• Ability to influence strategic direction in partnership with key decision-makers and highly technical resources.
• Ability to evaluate and test emerging technologies demonstrated.
• Ability to apply creative solutions to business problems to ensure business needs are most effectively met demonstrated.
• Ability to architect, build and launch complex applications demonstrated.
• Ability to define logical and physical architecture and document the architecture using UML diagrams.
• Master's Degree preferred. Experience with Enterprise Architecture frameworks and concepts (e.g. TOGAF). Experience in Enterprise or Solution Architecture.
• Experience with Cloud development.
• Travel may be required for State business. Employees who drive on state business must complete any required driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12.) AND have an acceptable driving record in accordance with DES Fleet Management-Safety Program policy and procedures (DES 1-07-26 & DES 1-07-26-01). Employees may be required to use their own transportation as well as maintaining valid motor vehicle insurance and current Arizona vehicle registration; however, mileage will be reimbursed.
• ARS 41-1969 Each employee or contractor of the department of economic security who is employed in an information technology position shall have a valid fingerprint clearance card issued pursuant to section ARS 41-1758.07.
• Bachelor's degree plus 10 or more years of programming and analysis experience (or equivalent experience).
The Arizona Department of Economic Security offers a comprehensive benefits package to include:
- Career Advancement & Employee Development Opportunities
- Flexible schedules to create a work/life balance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS)
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Stipend Opportunities
- Infant at Work Program
- RideShare and Public Transit Subsidy
- Affordable Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Life and Disability Insurance
By providing the option of a full-time or part-time remote work schedule, employees enjoy improved work/life balance, report higher job satisfaction, and are more productive. Remote work is a management option and not an employee entitlement or right. An agency may terminate a remote work agreement at its discretion.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
State employees are required to participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS), the State sponsored retirement contribution plan and the Long-Term Disability (LTD) program after a 27-week waiting period. The ASRS defined benefit plan provides for life-long income upon retirement. You will also have the option to participate in a voluntary deferred compensation program to take advantage of tax-deferred retirement investments.
On, or shortly after, your first day of work you will be provided with additional information about the available insurance plans, enrollment instructions, submission deadlines and effective dates.
Apply through azstatejobs.azdoa.gov. For questions about this career opportunity, please call Benson Walker at 480-318-4150 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 480-318-4150.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.