This role provides strategic support and works closely with the leadership team. This position will manage the internal occupational safety and health program for ADEQ.
• Develop and manage a comprehensive agency-wide occupational health and safety program to prevent injury, occupational illness and damage to property.
• Assess facility and site inspections or drills, job hazards analyses, leading and lagging indicators, and other evaluations to identify hazards and potential risks.
• Develop & manage safety trainings applicable for the entire agency.
• Ensure Safety Program adheres to administrative, statutory and regulatory requirements and other health and safety laws. Align the safety programs to Arizona Management System (AMS).
• Oversee the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), medical monitoring and respirator fit testing programs.
• Oversee purchasing of training courses and supplies, following established policies and guidelines for state and agency purchases.
• Manage agency safety manual policies and standard work.
• Investigate incidents or accidents to determine causes and create preventive measures to be taken to avoid recurrence.
• Perform other duties as required/assigned.
Do you think you have the combination of commitment, passion, and talent to help drive this Agency to realizing our vision? If so, apply today. To learn more about us, our organizational habits known as the ADEQ Way, our culture, and other positions we have open, visit us at DEQ/careers
• Knowledge of OSHA, ADEQ, ADOSH laws, ordinances, rules and regulations on occupational safety and health; of principles and practices of budget preparation and administration; of principles and techniques of employee training; of principles of hazardous materials and waste management, RCRA and OSHA classifications; of safety compliance and general liability risk management issues.
• Ability to communicate clearly, facilitate resolution of projects, problems; to plan, and implement a comprehensive health &safety program; to build and maintain positive working relationships with ADEQ employees and contractors.
• Ability to work with a diverse workforce at all levels of the agency professionally and with discretion.
• Experience with data management, reporting and developing metrics.
• A self-starter with a proven commitment to accuracy and service.
• A proven passion for strong customer service with interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
• Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
• Bachelor's degree in Safety Engineering, Occupational Health, Environmental Health, Industrial Engineering, or a closely related field.
• At least 5 years of experience in safety, accident prevention, environmental health, industrial hygiene or occupational risk management.
• Associate Safety Professional (ASP) or Graduate Safety Professional (GSP) or equivalent certification is required. Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or equivalent certification is preferred.
• Experience in Safety management system such as ISO 18001 or 45001, data analysis and reporting software is required.
• In State Travel is up to 25% of this positions time for supporting our field staff working outdoors.
Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are:
· 10 paid holidays per year
· Accrual of sick and annual leave beginning at 12 and 13 days per year respectively for full-time employees
· A top-ranked retirement program with lifetime pension benefits
· A robust and affordable insurance plan to include medical, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability
· An incentivized commuter club and public transportation subsidy program
· We promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility
· We offer a variety of learning and career development opportunities
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
ASRS Lifetime Benefits
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting HPO@azdeq.gov.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.