The Arizona Department of Correction, Rehabilitation & Reentry (ADCRR) is seeking a responsible and reliable Statewide CDL Driver to join our team. This position is responsible for the efficient and timely transportation, and delivery of Arizona Correctional Industries (ACI) materials and products.
- Drives both gas and diesel vehicles ranging from ½ ton vans to semi-tractor trailer rigs weighing 80,000 lbs.
- Maneuvers in tight locations for loading and unloading products
- Utilizes material handling equipment to include hand trucks, electric pallet jacks, and gas-operated forklifts, loading and/or unloading trucks
- Prevents damage or theft of items while in transit and accounts for all goods
- Adheres to all safety regulations and laws
- Prepares all necessary logbooks per Department of Transportation (DOT) and ADCRR guidelines
- Prepares written reports as required
- Closely monitors work crew activities and enforces security practices and daily sanitation in the area of responsibility in accordance with ADCRR policies, procedures, and best practices
- Work early mornings & varied 40 hour work weeks
- Drives on State business
- Performs other duties appropriate to the assignment
- Supervision and management techniques
- Backing and maneuvering in tight locations for loading and unloading products
- Warehouse and transportation operations to include shipping, receiving, inventory control, product delivery, and storage
- Fire and safety standards and regulations
- Security requirements and practices
- Arizona Department of Transportation rules and regulations and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations
- Written and verbal communication
- Establishing and maintaining interpersonal relationships
- Providing on-the-job training
- Organization and research
- Quality control
- Operation of gas and diesel-powered vehicles and safe operation of electric and gas-powered forklifts
- Simple bookkeeping
- Decision making
- Work in a prison environment
- Read state and city road maps and/or use electronic map apps to locate destinations
- Perform safe and proper loading techniques
- Secure and unload products
- Adhere to all Department rules, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Minimum of three (3) years continuous Class “A” CDL experience
- Minimum of three (3) years on-the-job experience driving a semi-tractor trailer and/or box truck; years delivery driving experience; working in a warehouse or transportation operation with duties that include supervision, shipping, receiving, inventory control, product delivery, storage, manufacturing, and installation
- Experience handling hazardous materials
Requires possession of and ability to retain a current, valid state-issued Class “A” Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) for ½ ton vans, straight trucks, flatbeds, and 33,000 lbs. box truck. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver’s license record checks, must maintain acceptable driving records, and complete any required driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12).
Requires possession of a Department of Transportation (DOT) Medical Examiner’s Certificate.
Employment is contingent on the selected applicant passing a background investigation, drug test, and a medical/physical examination.
We offer an excellent and affordable comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of our employees:
- Vacation and sick days with 10 paid holidays per year
- Robust and affordable insurance plan to include medical, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability options
- Exceptional retirement program
- Optional employee benefits such as deferred compensation plans, credit union membership, and a wellness program
- An incentivized commuter club and public transportation subsidy program
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Positions in this classification participate in the Corrections Officer Retirement Plan (CORP).
Current ADCRR Employees: Consult with your respective Human Resources Liaison if you are in a different retirement plan than the one indicated above.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 602-255-2430.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.