This position may offer the ability to work remotely, within Arizona, based upon the department's business needs and continual meeting of expected performance measures.
Come join ADOR, one of the 2022 Top Companies to Work For in Arizona! The Arizona Department of Revenue is seeking a Tax Analyst 3 to join the Income Audit Team! This position will provide support to the Income Audit Team and auditors in analyzing the facts and issues that arise in the course of income audits, protests, and PRI reviews. The Tax Analyst 3 will participate in the development of Income Audit Manuals, Income Audit policies, procedures, and guidelines, and various templates for use in conducting audits and reviews. The person in this role will coordinate, facilitate, and track the documentation of policies, procedures, and process improvement efforts and will work to support the standardization of work, automatic analytic abilities, computer audit techniques, and process efficiencies. The goal is to improve audit processes, tools, and standard work, and this position will also be responsible for providing training to other team members.
Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide backup for research, from a legal perspective, for various issues that arise in the course of income audits and PRI reviews
- Assist Income Audit team in the development and drafting of Information Document Requests and Explanation of Adjustments to be issued to taxpayers
- Review facts and positions of taxpayers and recommend, in writing, positions to be taken by the Income Audit Team, which are supported by applicable statutes, regulations, and case law
- Review and collaborate on formulation of Income Audit manuals to be used by auditors in conducting income audits and PRI reviews
- Use Arizona Management System (AMS) tools to collaborate on the development and drafting of policies, procedures, guildines, and templates
- Create standard work processes and ensure effective and efficient conduct of audits, protests, and PRI reviews
- Assist in the development of training materials
- Conduct internal seminars on various technical materials
- Support the standardization of data collection to support metrics, improve the problem solving processes to improve metrics, and analyze and formulate the story of the metrics
- Federal and State laws, rules, and regulations as they pertain to Federal and State income tax
- Accounting principles and procedures
- Computerized systems and business law
- Federal and State forms used in the Income Audit Teams
- Microsoft Excel and Word / Google Suite
- Project management, to include timeline management, tracking, and the assessment of risks and escalation of exceptions to processes
- Coordinating and facilitating to ensure the flow of work among the Income Audit Unit
- Researching, analyzing, and interpreting Federal and State laws as they pertain to complex income tax matters
- Usage of computerized products to support the Income Audit Unit
- Interpreting and applying policies and procedures established by the department
- Verbal and written communication
- Interpersonal relationships
- Apply required knowledge
- Meet with and obtain the cooperation of individuals or representatives of organizations
- Create and maintain an atmosphere of goodwill
- Analyze data, draw sound conclusions, assess situations, and make effective recommendations
- Prepare clear, complete, and concise memoranda, policies, procedures, and other documentation
- Be organized, work on multiple projects, and handle varying priorities
- Work independently and/or collectively and adapt to changing environments and new technologies with team members
- Identify inefficiencies and ineffective processes, determine options and improvements needed, and contribute to the necessary changes
The ideal candidate for this position will have:
- Experience documenting policies and procedures
- Experience training others
- Knowledge and experience with Continuous Improvement or Lean tools
- Experience with research, analytics, project tracking, and coordination between work groups
- Basic understanding of accounting principles and income taxation gained through course related work or work experience in the field of accounting/finance
The final candidate will be required to abide by the the following pre-employment checks:
- Employment Verification and Reference Checks
- State and Federal Criminal Background Check, including fingerprinting
- Arizona Tax Filing Records Check
- If applicable, ASEDRA Authorized Driver Identification Check
The State of Arizona provides a world class comprehensive benefits package including:
- Paid time off for holidays, sick days, annual leave, military leave, bereavement leave, and civic duty leave
- A robust and affordable insurance plan that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term, and long-term disability options.
- Higher education discounts for State employees and tuition reimbursement up to $5,250 per fiscal year, available to seek further career advancement or certification in Continuing Professional Education.
- Work-life balance and additional options for life betterment such as the Infant at Work Program, State Wellness Program, Public Transit Discounts, Alternate Work Schedules, and Telework opportunities.
Top ranked Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) provides 100% employer matched contributions (enrollment eligibility will be effective after 27 weeks of State employment). ASRS provides a lifelong benefit based on years of service earned, or worked, and your ending salary. Learn more about ASRS at: https://www.azasrs.gov/content/new-and-prospective-members
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 602-716-6950.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.