Salary: $54,573.58 Annually
In order to apply, you must go to the DPS website at azdps.gov/careers.
The salary listed includes 15% Critical Services Premium Pay which will be effective through June 24, 2022. At that time, the premium pay will end unless extended by legislation.
Telecommunications Technician Trainee is a limited term, entry-level trainee position for applicants lacking specific Telecommunications Technician training and experience. Advancement to Telecommunications Technician is earned after satisfactory completion of the Telecommunications Technician Trainee probationary period.
Telecommunications Technician Trainees assist Telecommunications Technicians with installation and maintenance of various types of electronic communication systems and equipment including VHF and UHF two-way mobile systems and microwave point-to-point systems. Telecommunications Technician Trainees often travel statewide, working irregular hours and under hazardous conditions in the performance of their duties. Performs other duties as assigned. This is a competitive classification.
1. High School diploma or equivalent
2. Completion of a one (1) year or longer formal training program in electronics technology (to include communications electronics courses) from a nationally or regionally accredited technical institute; or completion of 40 semester hours in electronics technology courses (to include communications electronics courses) from a nationally or regionally accredited public post secondary school; or completion of equivalent U.S. Armed Forces school.
3.Technical certification (e.g. FCC General Class License, PCIA or APCO Technician Certificate; CET Journeyman Certificate with a Communications endorsement, or equivalent) OR acquisition of the FCC General Class License or the APCO Technician Certificate within twelve (12) months of the date of hire and before taking the Telecommunications Technician examination. Failure to acquire either of these two certificates within twelve (12) months of the date of hire will violate probation status and be grounds for termination.
4. Valid Arizona driver's license no later than effective stating date.
5. Successful completion of examination process OR if qualifying from the Telecommunications Technician Apprentice, must complete 250 hours or more as a Telecommunications Technician Apprentice for the Arizona Department of Public Safety with a satisfactory employee evaluation and successful completion of the Telecommunications Technician Trainee examination.
Applicants must complete an examination process. A polygraph and background investigation are required for successful applicants. All newly hired employees will be subject to the E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification Program.
The Arizona Department of Public Safety is proud to offer a comprehensive benefits package to benefit-eligible employees in cooperation with the State of Arizona.
• Accrued vacation pay and sick days
• 10 paid holidays per year
• Deferred compensation plan
• Top-ranked retirement plans
• Affordable medical, dental, vision, life, and short & long-term disability insurance plans
• Employee Assistance, Peer and Family Support Programs
• Bus Cards (Subsidized partially by the State)
This classification participates in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS).
To learn more and see a complete list of the job openings at the Arizona Department of Public Safety, visit our website at www.azdps.gov. You may also contact us at (602) 223-2290.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.