The Arizona Department of Corrections, Rehabilitation & Reentry (ADCRR) is seeking a senior-level transportation expert. This position reviews, analyzes, improves, and coordinates delivery loading crews, drives, routes, shipments, and logs/reports of goods for Arizona Correctional Industries (ACI) customers and manufacturing centers throughout the State of Arizona.
- Reviews and analyzes current transportation needs to implement improvements and efficiencies for delivery methods and routes
- Ensures compliance with all state and federal transportation laws
- Coordinates shipments of goods
- Maintains logs and records of shipments
- Dispatches multiple drivers and inmate work crews for deliveries and pickup sites throughout the state using various communication systems and equipment
- Monitors availability and assignments of fleet vehicles
- Reviews routes for improvements in transit times and costs
- Tracks and traces all shipments to ensure orders are delivered on time
- Develops and implements metrics to determine carrier performance
- In the absence of the transportation supervisor or coworkers, complete any necessary tasks to maintain a high level of customer service
- Attends meetings and training
- Makes deliveries using fleet vehicles as necessary
- Drives on State business
- Performs other duties appropriate to the assignment
- Personal computers and software application operation (Microsoft Office and Google suites)
- Transportation and distribution systems
- Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations/requirements
- Truckload operations including planning and coordinating loads for a fleet of vehicles ranging from pickups to tractor-trailers
- Fleet assignments including available trucks, equipment, load securement, weight restrictions, fluid capacity, and maintenance
- Management techniques and practices
- Establishing and maintaining interpersonal relationships
- Verbal and written communications
- Excellent phone skills
- Map reading, geographical orientation, directing, guiding, and providing navigation to drivers
- Maintaining statistics, time studies, and reports as needed
- Updating and correcting route books when necessary
- Alerting the transportation supervisor or designated administrators of possible weather conditions that may affect transportation
- Multitasking, critical thinking, and reasoning
- Direct and guide many drivers at the same time
- Remain calm in stressful situations
- Learn and adhere to all ADCRR policies, procedures, best practices, personal rules, and state and federal laws
- Work in a secure prison/correctional environment
- Work harmoniously with ADCRR and ACI staff, customers, vendors, and inmates
- Supervise multiple employees and work crews simultaneously
- Analyze problems and design effective plans for program improvements
- Promote safety practices for all transportation employees
- Investigate and resolve complaints and incidents in a timely manner
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in the transportation industry
- Dispatching and logistic planning experience
- College degree in transportation, logistics, or applicable field
- Warehouse or manufacturing environment experience with supervisory responsibility
- Expert level experience in truckload operations, planning, and coordinating loads for a fleet of vehicles
Requires possession of a valid Arizona Class A Commercial driver’s license and Department of Transportation (DOT) Medical Examiner’s Certificate.
Requires possession of, and ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver’s license appropriate to the assignment. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver’s license record checks, must maintain acceptable driving records, and must complete any required driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12).
Employment is contingent on the selected applicant passing a background investigation and drug test.
We offer an excellent and affordable comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of our employees:
- Vacation and sick days with 10 paid holidays per year
- Robust and affordable insurance plan to include medical, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability options
- Exceptional retirement program
- Optional employee benefits such as deferred compensation plans, credit union membership, and a wellness program
- An incentivized commuter club and public transportation subsidy program
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Positions in this classification participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS).
Enrollment eligibility will become effective after 27 weeks of employment.
Current ADCRR Employees: Consult with your respective Human Resources Liaison if you are in a different retirement plan than the one indicated above.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 602-255-2430.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.