This position will work closely with the Claims Manager to oversee daily operations and staff of the Industrial Commission of Arizona Claims Division to create and maintain a positive team culture focused on continuous improvement and employee engagement; Implementation of short-term and long-term strategies to ensure that the Commission meets its statutory obligations in these areas as set forth in A.R.S.§ 23-901 et seq (Arizona Workers' Compensation Act) and all other applicable laws and rules. This position will supervises direct and indirect reports in compliance with all rules, regulations, procedures, state personnel statutes and regulations, and performs other duties and responsibilities described herein; also serves as a subject matter expert on Arizona workers compensation law and claims processing. This position demonstrates master knowledge of Workers Compensation statutes, rules and case laws. This position demonstrates journey level employee management experience. This knowledge and experience may be substituted with the equivalent experience in Arizona Workers Compensation claims management.
This position is responsible for guiding the day to day operations of the Claims Division's daily operations; which includes providing assistance, training and oversight of staff to ensure work is performed accurately and timely in compliance with Arizona workers’ compensation laws. Works to build a culture of team cohesiveness and employee engagement. Management of assigned section(s) including, establishing metrics that defines acceptable levels of performance and establish monthly targets for each metric. Review performance against those metrics and targets and takes action when targets are not achieved. Support continuous improvement efforts that improve the overall operations of the division and agency while providing a greater return to the State of Arizona. Develop, implement and monitor process and procedures to ensure compliance with Arizona workers' compensation laws. Improves and/or creates Standard Work guidelines. Generate, review, and analyze various claims reports to identify performance measures and claims trends. Supervise assigned employees to ensure compliance with all rules, regulations, procedures, state personnel statutes and regulations. Establishes and communicates performance standards and objectives. Conducts ongoing performance feedback and annual appraisals. Perform claims audits. Analyze results and develop and implement training for internal and external customers; conduct workshops at the annual Claims Seminar. Participates in the development and management of the certification for out-of-state adjusters and annual ICA Seminar.
• Arizona workers’ compensation statutes, rules of procedure, regulations, Court of Appeals and Supreme Court decisions regarding workers’ compensation law.
• Basic Medical terminology.
• Basic English
• Basic Mathematics
• General knowledge of other state agencies, such as Department of Insurance and its role in the workers’ compensation process;
• Process and information management principles and practices, including the use of technology to improve processes.
• Federal Employment laws; Family Medical Leave Act, Americans with Disability Act, HIPAA and Social Security rules and regulations as they might relate to workers’ compensation issues.
• Knowledge of the insurance industry claims adjusting standards and practices.
• Effectively able to communicate verbally and in writing to resolve disputes with interested parties.
• Master-level analysis of insurance, medical and legal documents.
• Review and interpret laws, rules, procedures and court decisions
• Strong critical thinking skills
• Time Management
• Initiative and attention to detail
• Strong focus on customer service
• Strong leadership, management and supervisory skills
• Strong organizational, planning, and analytical skills.
• Business process acumen, management skills to include work flows and information management.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Advanced computer skills, including database and view center systems, and Microsoft Office programs.
• Instructional training and presentation skills.
• Perform job responsibilities incorporating lean management and principles of the Arizona Management System.
• Interpret complex claim files
• Manage heavy workload with high level of accuracy and production
• Learn computer systems and applications
• Work well within a diverse and inclusive office environment
• Manage time effectively and meet deadlines
• Adapt to changing circumstances
• Demonstrate initiative and attention to detail
• Exercise discretion and judgment
• Works well under pressure
• Plan, direct and evaluate employee performance and build a strong, positive team culture.
• Analyze and resolve complex insurance claims matters with claimants, attorneys, employers, insurance carriers and third party administrators.
• Establish goals and drive results.
• Analyze statistical data and develop reports.
• Effectively train internal and external customers in small and large group settings.
Ideal candidates will have:
• 2+ years’ experience in the management of a workers' compensation claims department or a similar management experience.
• 5+ years’ experience as a claims adjuster processing Arizona workers' compensation claims; Past experience in the design, development and/or implementation of claims procedures, manuals, educational materials and work flow.
• Will be certified as Workers Compensation Claims Administrator, Workers Compensation Claims Professional, Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter or designation relating to workers’ compensation.
• AZ Driver’s License Required
In-State travel is required. Requires possession of and ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver's license appropriate to the assignment. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver's license record checks, must maintain acceptable driving records and must complete any required driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207 (12). Employees may be required to use their own transportation, as well as maintaining valid motor vehicle insurance and current Arizona vehicle registration; however, mileage will be reimbursed.
The Arizona Department of Administration offers a comprehensive benefits package to include:
Vacation with 10 paid holidays per year
Health and dental insurance
Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
Optional employee benefits include short-term disability insurance, deferred compensation plans, and supplemental life insurance
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
You will be eligible to participate in the state employee health/disability insurance plan, and you are required to participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS). ASRS participation may begin immediately or upon your 27th week of employment. Contributions are matched by the employer.
If you have any questions please feel free to call 602-542-5559 or email HR@azica.gov for assistance.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.