Manage professional employees and/or supervisors and supervises large, complex support, production, or operations team(s).
Has accountability for the performance and results of a team within own discipline or function. Adapt departmental plans and priorities to address resource and operational challenges.
Decisions and problem-solving are guided by policies, procedures, and business plans.
Provide technical guidance to employees, colleagues, and/or customers.
• Plans, develops, evaluates, and manages the state level workers' compensation program to protect the employees and assets of all state agencies and boards and commissions in compliance with state and federal rules and standards
• Responsible for developing and recommending changes to Risk Management statutes and rules, and developing the standards, guidelines, and procedures for implementation. Advises the Risk Manager on various program related issues
• Procures and manages risk management consultants and contractors. Manages divisional resources, including recruitment and retention of employees, equipment, and other state assets. The position serves as a manager, which includes directing subordinates and interpreting policy
• Develops policies and procedures for the workers' compensation section. Also responsible for providing statistical information on claims for use in annual reports, quarterly reports to agencies, actuary review, and loss prevention. Conducts surveys, studies, analyses, and assessments to identify program deficiencies, and recommend changes and modifications
• Manages revolving fund and operational budget as appropriated by JLBC
• Other duties as assigned as related to the position
• Types of insurance contracts and related law; administrative policies, practices, and procedures; occupational, safety and health regulations, and insurance and/or risk management information systems
• Claims best practice guidelines; insurance claims processing and medical coding
• Negotiations and alternate dispute resolution (ADR)
• Contract review
• Investigation, analysis, evaluation, research, organization, and prioritization
• Communicating effectively orally and in writing
• Recognize and evaluate potential hazards, make appropriate insurance related recommendations and influence decisions that will result in a reduction of exposures and liabilities
• Ability to use current computer software programs to complete assessments, reports, and manage exposure data and insurance policies
• Ability to manage varied responsibilities with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time sensitive deadlines
• Maintain composure in emotionally charged situations in a fast paced work environment
• Learn, understand, and apply AZ Revised Statutes and AZ Administrative Code
• Ability to handle confidential information with tact and discretion
• Develop and conduct Risk Management related training
• Maintain excellent interpersonal relations
• Provide excellent customer service
• 10+ years industry related experience and 2+ years supervisory or management experience
• Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver’s license record checks, must maintain acceptable driving records and must complete any required driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12.)
• Requires possession of and ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver’s license appropriate to the assignment
The State of Arizona offers a comprehensive benefits package to include:
• Optional employee benefits include short-term disability insurance, deferred compensation plans, and supplemental life insurance
• Life insurance and long-term disability insurance available
• Vacation with 10 paid holidays per year
• Health and dental insurance
• Retirement plan
• Sick leave
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
• Positions in this classification participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS)
• Please note that enrollment eligibility will become effective after 27 weeks of employment
• If you have any questions, please feel free to contact ADOA Recruitment at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.